Reasons to hire a coach:
Every athlete is different and brings a unique set of experiences, physiologic background, and life commitments to the starting line. Cookie cutter programs do not take this into consideration. An individualized program can help you meet your potential and reach your goals!
Having someone to answer to may be the motivation that you need to get out the door. Motivated people find a way!
We will help you with the mental preparation for a race and race anxiety. We will teach you how to work through setbacks and use that as a spring board for improved fitness. We will show you how cycles in your training lead to improved fitness.
Many people come to us because doing the same thing has not worked. Sometimes a new approach is all that is needed to rejuvenate your training and help you reach your goals.
We have coached multiple athletes of all abilities to reach their goals in various events ranging from junior high cross country to the college 800 meter runners as well as the runner wanting to run their first 5K, triathlon, or tackle an Ironman. In addition, we have coached athletes that have competed successfully and have consistently been among the top runners in the Chicagoland area.
Cari Setzler, DVM
- B.S. Biology, Aquinas College (2000)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University (2004)
- Road Runner Club of America Coaches Instructor 2013
- Chi Walking Instructor
- Natural Running coach with Newton 2012
- USATF Level III Super Distance Summit (2011)
- USATF Level II Endurance Coach (2008)
- Road Runner of America Coaching Certification (2010)
- Teach coaching Certification Classes for the RRCA 2013
- Individualized training programs for athletes (2002 - Present)
- Coordinator/Coach HealthBridge Road Runners (2008 - Present)
- Coach Zephyr Middle School X-Country and Track Programs (2008 - Present)
- Assistant for Johnsburg Track & Field and Cross Country programs (2004 -Present)
- Assistant Middle Distance Coach Lansing Community College (2002)
- 2011 Mid East Duathlon Woman’s Champion
- 2010 2nd Woman Overall Milwaukee Marathon
- 2009 March Madness Half Marathon Overall Woman
- 2008 3rd Woman Overall CARA
- 2008 Road Runners Running Club MVP
- 2005 Boston Marathon
- 2003 Detroit Marathon 9th woman overall
- 8 Time All American Aquinas College (1996-2000)
- 800: 2:12
- 1500: 4:35
- 5K: 18:01
- 10K: 38:52
- 10 Mile: 63:17
- Half Marathon 1:25:17
- Marathon 3:02:17
- USTFCCA Level 2 Endurance Specialist
- B.S. Biology (Minor in Psychology) from Drake University (1989)
- USATF Level I (2008)
- Road Runner of America Coaching Certification (2010)
- 6 years Woods Creek Elementary School Running Club Coach (Designed and Implemented Program)
- 4 years Off Ice Conditioning Coach Crystal Lake South High School Hockey Team (2007 - Present)
- 5 years Zephyr Middle School X-Country and Track Programs (2008 - Present)
- 2 years Assistant Girls Coach Johnsburg High School (2009 - Present)
- 5 Time Boston Qualifier
- 2007 3rd Woman Overall CARA
- 2007 Road Runners Running Club MVP
- 2008 7th Woman Overall CARA
- 2007 and 2008 1st Age Group Female CARA
- 2006 Benton Harbor Half Ironman
- 2005/2006 completed 6 Olympic Distance Triathlons and Duathlons
- 5K: 19:01
- 10K: 40:01
- Half Marathon: 1:30
- Marathon: 3:20:01
I am the mother of 3 boys, ages 15 - 20. I have spent the past 20 years managing my household and parenting my children. In the meantime, I have been able to challenge myself to train for many events.
- Master of Science in Education - Northern Illinois University
- Bachelor of Arts - Truman State University (MO)
- USAT certified coach 2013
- certified group cycling fitness instructor
- Individualized coaching for beginner and experienced triathletes
- Coordinated and coached off season conditioning and training for multisport athletes
- basketball coaching at the collegiate level
- Qualified and registered for 2013 Ironman 70.3 World Championship - September, Henderson, NV
- Six-time Ironman Finisher; podium finisher at Ironman Wisconsin 2003
- Seven-time Boston Marathon qualifier
- Qualified for 2002 ITU Long Course World Championship
What you get when you train with...
Once you sign up at The Running Depot, you receive (via email) an Athlete Questionnaire which gathers detailed information about you, your training/racing history as well as your goals.
After returning the questionnaire, we will perform a thorough evaluation of your training and racing history as well as your future goals. We will meet with you to go over the questionnaire in person and discuss other life obligations, time commitments, and then outline short term goals. We will build your training plan. Using our training philosophy, your program gradually and progressively builds to prepare you for the challenges of your goal race(s). And, armed with your Questionnaire, the training plan is built specifically for you taking into account your preferences with regard to long runs and key workouts days, races, vacations, etc. On the schedule, you will have details for each and every day of the week throughout your program. No more guesswork and you simply check the date on the schedule. Based on your current fitness, we will give you specific paces for each run. We also list the purpose for each workout as well as any special instructions or goals for workouts and races. The schedule is built for your primary goal of the training cycle. With your weekly feedback, the program is updated to reflect how your training is progressing. This workout is also adjusted when "life happens" and you need to change things.
Coaching is a two-way street. We provide the training plan and we expect you to provide the feedback that will allow us to help you. Throughout the program, we expect (and rely upon) consistent feedback (weekly or bi-weekly) via e-mail. Let us know the results of each key workout, race, problems with the training, upcoming vacations, and family commitments, etc. This allows us to make any necessary adjustments to your training schedule. After all, the training schedule you receive is not set in stone, but is a work in progress. It is modified continually based on your feedback with the results of each workout and race, so it is your responsibility to keep us updated on how the training is progressing.
We wholeheartedly welcome and encourage your feedback as often as necessary, especially in the early part of the training schedule. Ask all your questions, please! Let us know how things are going, both physically and mentally. You are the only one who truly knows your body, so we rely on your feedback to keep your program on the fast track to success.
The cost of the personal coaching program is $150 for the first month and $100 each additional month depending on the length of your commitment. . The cost of the personal trialthon/duathlon coaching program is $250 for the first month and $200 each additional monthThisrate includes the complete package described above as well as unlimited contact via phone and email. There are no limits on personal contact nor are there varying levels of service or benefits. All athletes receive the same level of service. In addition, triathlon and duathlon progams include the following:
Half-day Personal Coach Camp with analysis of swim, bike, and run technique, including video
Progress tracking via TrainingPeaks.com®
One coach-supported race* located within 100 miles of
Crystal Lake, IL
If you choose a 6 month plan, the cost is $600,1100 for triathlon/duathlon, and a year plan is $1100, $2100 triathlon/duathlon.
Over the last decade, we have been working successfully with runners of all shapes, sizes, ages and ability levels. During this time, we have combined both the science and art of coaching which allows us to design an in-depth optimal training program based on your goals and other life commitments. Whether you are training for your first 5K, training in the off season for your track or cross country season, want to qualify for the Boston Marathon, or are an Olympic Trials hopeful, we can help you reach your goals!!!
We also have the following tailored programs:
- 8 Week Schedule: Good for those athletes who are well trained but looking to fine tune or work on their weaker areas (5k-10k only) $75.
- 12 Week Schedule: Good for experienced that lets who have a good base of consistent running and are looking for the best way to peak for their goal 5k or 10k or for the beginner 5k-10k athlete $100.
- 16 Week Schedule: Ideal for 5k- half marathon for beginner or intermediate runners who ar looking for a solid program to get them to their race goal $125.
- 20 Week Schedule: Highly recommended to allow for the most complete training and best performance. This program is good for the more experienced 5k-half marathon or the beginner marathoner $150.
- 24 Week Schedule: Recommend to runners looking to optimize their performance with a full Macro cycle of training.Ideal for the 5k to the marathon. $175